“You received Christ Jesus the Lord, so continue to live as Christ’s people.
Sink your roots in him and build on him.
Be strengthened by the faith that you were taught,
and overflow with thanksgiving.” Col. 2:6-7
Can you remember an experience where something (or someone) ‘overflowed’ on you? Maybe it was a good overflow . . . maybe it was a bad overflow. Maybe you have overflowed at times. Maybe you were able to enjoy the overflow. Maybe you had to scramble to stop an overflow from creating damage (like when your upstairs overflowing tub starts creating a new design on your kitchen ceiling, only to find out that your kids thought it would be fun to cover up the overflow valve on the tub so they could scuba dive.)
Choosing to open our hearts to Christ Jesus begins a process that is meant to involve “overflow.”
- It begins with the personal choice to receive Him into my life.
- Then come the choices to live as His Own…as His person;
- Sinking my “roots” into Him…going deeper by intention leads to
- Building stronger . . . making Him your life’s solid Foundation;
- He, with others along the way, teaches us things we did not know,
- By which our faith is strengthened.
- Then from that new Life growing within us comes a deep sense of gratitude…thanksgiving ….
- …To the One Who has Loved first.
I was 3 years old when I began to learn that Jesus loved me, and I opened my heart to Him. That’s when it began for me, this life journey that has been filled with both the very good and the very bad. I am so grateful that I had a foundational knowledge of the One Who loved me and has been with me throughout my whole life. The words of this verse describe a life-long journey, with an outcome desperately needed by this world.
My hope and prayer is that those streams that have overflowed out of my life have left behind a touch of Jesus’ Presence.